Thursday 10 February 2011

A light bulb went off in my head

In Sheffield today I had one of those moments familiar to all designers. A light bulb went off in my head. Or at least, a light shade did anyway. Let me explain... 

I saw the light shade (below) through a shop window, and couldn't resist popping in to take a few cheeky pictures. It provides such a great visual, especially with the light pouring through it, and is unbelievably in-tune with this module.
























Until this point I've been focusing mostly on very rigid and tight, almost architectural structures, but I can see now that I'm going to have to experiment with more natural, flowing forms.

The light shade itself is made from felt, which lends itself to the ripples and flowing lines of this style. I look forward to seeing how it works with paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment