Saturday 5 March 2011

Repetitive and interesting buildings


The next step was researching buildings that I felt had forms or lines that could be well represented in paper and architecture showcased repeat.

The Getty Centre


Really nice strong and clean lines. The curves are so strong yet smooth, and almost look as if they are made out of paper already. I can't help but imagine a paper structure made by repeating strong curves made by scoring the paper.


Greene House

Designed by Herb Greene (1961) It's hard not to imagine this as a paper sculpture. (or maybe I've just been thinking about paper too much..) To my eye it's an exciting structure that could be recreated using repeating pleats and layering of strips of paper.


Sydney Opera House


Really smooth and clean lines. One of the most recognizable buildings in the world. I can just imagine this the exoskeleton of a crustacean. The underwater theme seems to continue with the rest of the buildings I've picked out in this blog.


Neue Staatsgalerie

The glass front on this building reminds me of a pleated wave. (such as those featured in Richard Sweeney's work.


Rooftop Office


Again, this building has a crustacean feel to it. I know it's a crude similarity, but it reminds me of a lobster draped over a house.

I think it's obvious that my next avenue for research should be crustaceans and other sea creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment